Sunday, October 31, 2010

Collages Happen

The antecedents for some of my collages can be found in the 1960's. The above collage, "Urban Angels" is one of my first attempts at a 1960's style Mad Photo collages. A Mad Collage is my term for condensed, scrapbook compilations that were glued up on sheets or boards to decorate the wall of a room or hall. Even at this stage of my work, however, I have attempted to follow some ideas of composition. There is an attempt here at  themes of weightlessness (or balance) and wonder.

These two themes (one physical and one emotive) both compare and contrast. What I wanted to show was that in human beings that sometimes there is a merging of the internal and external sense of flight.

The use of sparse religious images in the context of the work is also apparent. As well, I try to be respectful of the magazines I rob for images by showing where possible the entire frame of the individual and by a simple presentation without too much gimmicry.